VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:21:15 EDT
I responded privately, but this was my response in essence.  There are tons
of websites that have them....Just do a www.google.com search for something
like:  "Naming Patterns" or "Naming Patterns Genealogy" or "Naming patterns
Scottish" or "Naming Patterns German".  Here is a real nice, simple, easy to
read example:

http://ourancestry.com/naming-patterns.html

 > In 18th & 19th Century Britain families generally tended to name their
> children in a specific pattern as follows:
>
> Males
>
> First-born Son - father's father
> Second-born Son - mother's father
> Third-born Son - father
> Fourth-born Son - father's eldest brother
> Fifth-born Son - father's 2nd oldest brother or mother's oldest brother
> Females
>
> First-born Daughter - mother's mother
> Second-born Daughter - father's mother
> Third-born Daughter - mother
> Fourth-born Daughter - mother's eldest sister
> Fifth-born Daughter - mother's 2nd oldest sister or father's oldest sister

My personal experience is that the first three or each sex follows the
pattern in general quite often, but the order is often reversed.  In
particular, I have a couple of families where the first born daughter seems
to be religiously named after the mother herself, and on at least to the next
generation.

Janet Hunter