VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:19:15 -0400
The discussion of commercial genealogical resources is taking up a good
deal of time and space and not producing very many new or useful hints
for researchers. Perhaps it is time to move on to another subject.

Let me add a word, though:

When we publish something, either in a book, in a journal, or on the
Internet, we legally (or we and our publisher) retain the right to copy
it, meaning that other people are not supposed to make improper use or
it or duplicate it without our permission.

Unfortunately, the law of copyright is extraordinarily complicated and
changing (with respect to the Internet), and nobody should attempt to be
his or her own lawyer in these matters. Just think about the controversy
over copying music files.

Unfortunately, also, even though an author or compiler or publisher
retains copyright, there is virtually nothing that anybody can do to
prevent some other person from using or exploiting materials that have
been published. nless you can prove monetary damages to yourself, you
have virtually no means of enforcing your copyright.

If we put something on the Internet, we lose control over it to a
greater or lesser extent. If we do not want other people making use of,
or making misuse of, our work, we should not let them have access to it.

We all ought to know not to take some other person's word for the
authenticity of a fact or assertion if we can't see the source from
which the assertion derives.

$0.02 worth from

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia