VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2002

Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:19:21 EST
Am still searching for information on a J. N. Huffman that served in the War
Between the States. Hoping that "J. N. Huffman" is actually John N. Huffman,
my ggg grandfather, who has ties to the Craig County, VA area.

I was originally given info that J. N. Huffman served in Company F of the
30th VA Infantry, CSA and that he enlisted on 31 January 1863 in Newcastle,
Craig County, VA. That information, I'm told, comes from "Hard Times
1861-1865 Volume III," by Jane Echols Johnston and Brenda Lynn Williams.
However, a check of the 30th VA Regimental History book, by a kind
researcher, shows no such person served in the 30th VA.

New information found in VA Confederate rosters housed online says that a
Private J. N. Huffman served in the Company A of the 2nd Militia  (Infantry)
in the War Between the States. What exactly does this mean? Is this a Home
Guard Unit? And where does one search for extra information?

Thank you in advance for any information or guidance. I look forward to
reading your E-mails.

Sincerely,

Mike Peters