VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2005

From:
Lindsey Bourne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lindsey Bourne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:31:21 -0500
Does anyone on the list have a hard copy of Jordan R. Dodd's _Early
American Marriages: Virginia to 1850_ who would be willing to lookup a
marriage for me?  I found in Ancestry.com's "Virginia Marriages,
1740-1859" database, which cites Dodd as the source, a listing for the
following marriage:

James F. Dean to Mary J.E. Lee, 12 August 1845, Chesterfield County

I was at the LVa this afternoon, and was unable to find this marriage in
the six sets of microfilmed marriage records for Chesterfield County for
this period that I searched.  Moreover, it is not listed in the
Chesterfield Historical Society's _Marriages of Chesterfield County,
Virginia, abstracted from microfilm, 1771-1854_, nor is it in _Marriage
Bonds and Ministers' Returns of Chesterfield County, Virginia,
1816-1853_, compiled by Benjamin B. Weisiger, III.

This evening, I found in a web search a descendancy narrative for
Captain Symon Miller (http://home.swbell.net/koplend/miller_b1.htm)
citing this same Ancestry.com database for the marriage of Catherine
Delafayette (Richards) Voss to Lawson Barnett on 22 Feb 1822.  The
footnote for this entry says that the database gives Chesterfield County
as the place of the marriage, but the author finds this highly unlikely,
and speculates that there has been a transcription error--that the
correct county is actually Culpeper.

After my fruitless search for the cited Dean-Lee marriage record this
afternoon, I, too, am wondering if there has been a transcription error,
most likely on Ancestry.com's part, and I would very much like to know
what Dodd's book actually says.  If someone with access to this would be
good enough to check that for me, I would be most grateful.

Lindsey Bourne