VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2004

From:
nelhatch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:38:15 -0700
HATCHER website: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/faq.htm
HATCHER DNA project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hatDNA.htm
Researching: Cook, Hall, Hatcher, Miller, Shepherd, Timberman
"Genealogy without Documentation is Nothing" - Paul Drake

I remember a few years ago when One World Tree was in its infancy. Their
goal was to take different surname files and attempt to make potential
connections between same named individuals. At the time it seemed a very
ambitious task but they were also experiencing serious problems getting
their system off the ground and I promptly forgot about them.

Then a few months ago while searching ancestry.com for one of my Hatchers, I
saw matches in OWT and decided to click on it. Since I wasn't a subscriber
to this particular feature, I got only a bare tree leading from my
individual back to his earliest ancestor. Stepping back thru this tree, I
started grinning and then at the earliest Hatcher ancestor, I laughed out
loud. OTW had this earliest ancestor born in the late 1600s with a "wife"
born in the 1800s.

Whatever OTW is attempting to do, I would guess their abacus broke somewhere
along the way. If this is an example of the "leads" you may find in OTW,
I'll stick to unsourced refs on Worldconnect :-)

There was nothing in OTW's Hatcher data that appeared to be coming from my
WC Hatcher files.

Nel Hatcher