VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2014

From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2014 08:45:07 -0400
Marsha,

That has always been one of my favorite court order entries. It can't compare with the salacious Northumberland County case in the 1660s of the torrid affair between the Pastor's wife and the county Sheriff which is truly X rated reading, but this comes close. As you demonstrate, Phebe was a minor (an infant was anyone under 21 years old) and is thus represented in court by her "next friend" who is a court appointed guardian ad litum for this specific court case only. He was not her official guardian. She probably didn't have one.

Craig Kilby