VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2001

Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 00:00:48 EST
Hi John. Found these listings below on Rootsweb that you posted. do you have
a marriage for Lucy BECK, d/o Micajah and Sister to William?

I have a GGG Grandmother, Julia Ann BECK, that was called Lucy and named a
Daughter Lucy, that married David SPRADLING in Albemarle Co., VA in 1828. She
was b. ~ 1804 and died in Albemarle in 1888. The Lucy BECK you list was b.
1802 and died in 1889. Your Lucy had a Brother William, b. ~ 1815 (?). Julia
lived near a William BECK in Charlottesville in 1850 (Census data) who had a
son Alex, one year old. William was listed as 39 years old. Julia's first son
was named Alex, b. 1830.

My GGG Grandfather David SPRADLING (married to my Julia) and his Sisters sell
a piece of property in Albemarle to a Joel TERRILL in 1839 for one dollar,
indicating some type of relationship. Joel's Daughter, Hardenia, b. ~ 1820 in
Albemarle, marries a William BECK in Albemarle around the time of this sale.

It could be my Julia and your Lucy may be the same. Any comments? Thanks. Tim
Spradling

ID: I6323
Name: Lucy BECK
Given Name: Lucy
Surname: Beck
Sex: F
Note:
> !BIRTH:Family Group Record of Carolyn Clark, Johnstown, PA
> PARENTAGE:Listed as daughter in Albemarle Co. Deed Book 152, page 187
> MARRIAGE:VA Historical Mag. Vol 31 From Hall Family Bible also Beck
> Marriages
> Albermarle Co. 1806-1854 page 45
> DEATH:Family Group Record of Carolyn Clark

Birth: 18 MAY 1802 in Albemarle, VA
Death: 6 MAY 1889 in pos. Greene, VA
Reference Number: 679

Father: <A HREF="http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=johnwboring&id=I6311">Micajah BECK</A> b: ABT 1774 in Albemarle, Va.
Mother: <A HREF="http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=johnwboring&id=I6312">Sarah CARVER</A> b: 1775

ID: I6311
Name: Micajah BECK
Given Name: Micajah
Surname: Beck
Sex: M
Note:
> !BIRTH:Determined from age given in Fed Census 1830-40 &50
> DEATH:Determined from fact he was not in 1860 census
> MARRIAGE:William Carver's will in Albermarle Co. Will Book 5 page 130
> dated 20 Nov 1807 and probated 4 Mar 1811 refers to his daughter
> Salley Beck(Sarah)
> OCCUPATION: Farmer
> Abt 1796 Micajah married Sarah Carver, daughter of William and Mary.
> We know from the census that he was born in VA but we do not know who
> his
> parents were or exactly when he was born. Micajah purchased land on
> Peter's
> Mountain, 26 November 1808 (deed book16 pgs. 439 & 440, Indenture
> listed in Deed Book 16 pg. 443) . The size of the original farm is not
> known but from the deeds and wills we know that his daughter Mary
> received 48 acres in 1849; Jarrel received 50 acres in 1844 and Reuben
> sold 48 acres that he recieved from his father to Jarrel. If the other
> sons and daughters received land it is not known.

Birth: ABT 1774 in Albemarle, Va.
Death: ABT 1850 in Albemarle, Va.
Reference Number: 48

Father: <A HREF="http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=johnwboring&id=I6599">? BECK</A>