VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2013

Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2013 12:40:59 -0500
>James M. Smith, age 22, was enlisted by C. M. Barton in Cutshaw's
>Artillery, March 1862
>His service record says he was killed 16 Sep 1862 at Sharpsburg.
>
>I am trying to get a Vet. Administration grave marker for him but they say
>they can only furnish a stone for an eligible individual who is interred or
>"when the remains are unavailable for burial."

-Maybe get in touch with your Cong. Representative and see if his office
can add a little clout to your request.  In my family we have a grave
marker for a relative in SW Georgia who was actually buried near Knoxville,
Tenn.  This was done years ago and the marker had sat in a Ga. railroad ware-
house for a number of years before it was figured out where it should be
placed.  It was put in the family plot next to his wife's grave.

John Garrett