VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2002

Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:21:58 EDT
Has anybody made a connection between the children of CARY CALVIN ALLEN (born
Aug 22, 1792, Prince Edward Co., VA.) and AMERICA EVANS (born abt. 1790) and
the SAVEDGE family?   I saw a reference somewhere about a month ago to some
daughters of this couple who married SAVEDGE husband, but -- regretfully --
didn't take the time to write it down.  This represents a 35-year old Brick
Wall!!

ACRIL SAVEDGE posted the security bond in Surry Co. for the marriage (Apr 17,
1839) of my 2nd GGndmother, ELIZABETH H. ALLEN,(1814-1887), to SAMUEL CARRELL
CHARLES.   TALBERT SAVEDGE posted bond for the marriage on October 11, 1848,
also in Surry Co., of REBECCA ALLEN to CHRISTOPHER SEWARD.

Although I haven't been able to prove it, I believe Elizabeth and Rebecca
were sisters, especially since my Aunts remembered SEWARD cousins coming into
Petersburg from Surry County -- in a fancy carriage, with a liveried driver,
to visit the family.  I believe the SEWARD family owned a luggage factory in
Petersburg.

Also, my father's first cousin  -- now an old lady almost 100 yrs old --
remembered a "Cousin WINFIELD SAVEDGE" and a "Cousin TIPPIE SAVEDGE".  She
also told me she thought her great-grandmother's mother was a SAVEDGE, which
I know now is not true.

My 2nd GGndmother's death certificate didn't mention her parents' names, but
I feel very strongly that ELIZABETH CHARLES (nee ALLEN) was the daughter of
CARY CALVIN ALLEN and AMERICA EVANS not only because of the connection with
the SAVEDGE family, but because she named her daughter AMERICA CHARLES,
probably after her grandmother (it fits the old English naming pattern).

Thanks for any help in solving this puzzle!!!

       Phyllis Wilkinson