VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 10:06:17 -0500
Very well stated, Bill.  I would only suggest further that the "militia" units, "home guards", or however those might have been labeled at the time, very early (17th century) put together to confront and protect citizenry from dangers, soon became Saturday events and social gatherings when long decades passed with no widespread uprisings/apparitions/Indian dangers that required the use of arms.  The seriousness of such "drills" and "meets" decreased dramatically when it became apparent that the dangers for which the units had been designed were more perceived than "real".

Too many casual genealogy readers fail to remember that it was 170 years - 17 decades - from Jamestown to the Revolution, and throughout most of that very long time span there existed only the need/desire to survive and elevate one's status a tad.  I must add that I have found that virtually ALL who engaged in farming and lived in rural areas (as most did) or resided anywhere near the edge of settlement, had firearms of every make and description used for both procurement of wild game as food and, to an even greater degree, kept loaded for use as protection of their livestock from wolves, foxes, bears, and such as "painters" - cougar and panthers - and, unfortunately, to avidly hunt and destroy eagles, hawks and owls which were perceived to be carrying off and killing calves, lambs, kids, chickens, any fowl, and even infants.      Paul