VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

From:
Eric Huffstutler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Huffstutler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2008 23:01:00 -0400
I can see and understand what you say.  I have been doing this via Internet
for over 20 years (started with Fidonet), ran a couple of GenWeb county
sites years past, and help others when I can as I go to the state library.
But for newcomers it may seem to be a closed fisted group of people no
matter how many lists they find (many dead).  I even saw this happen years
ago as people became stingy with their research and stongheaded about their
info being the gospel.  After that people went underground but then a new
group emerged and now seems to have disappeared.  I had wondered if the
various state laws limiting documents have hampered the interest.  I know I
relied on them a lot and being able to simply walk to or have someone go to
a courthouse and opening a book to get what I needed.

But what I find disheartening is that GenWeb (rootsweb) county sites have
changed coordinator hands so much that many sites have become useless - only
a bunch of links to other sites or books to buy rather than posted
information.  That the sites can be outdated as much as 5-years.  And like
you said, volunteers have become scarce and sites dedicated to them doesn't
even take the time to remove dead links or seek out new ones wasting
people's time.  I am not alone when it comes to limited income or ability to
travel and obtain information especially when you still work a 9-5 job.
That is when you have to depend on volunteers to help.

Eric