VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2001

Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 08:07:27 EDT
For those of you familiar with Norfolk research: has anyone heard of or know what area is Hickory?  I had family records listing two people as dying in Hickory (Susan Dozier d 1888 and Stephen Decatur Culpep/p/er 1871).  They lived in Northwest but sometimes this is listed as Currituck Co., NC (which I understand is because the NC and VA lines weren't final for some period of time).  So the same place goes back and forth.  Northwest is actually near Rt 17 along the Dismal Swamp, the road you take to go to Nags Head.  But Hickory?  One of the people (Susan Dozier Culpep/p/er) I have located an Interment Card on, for Elmwood or Cedar Grove (grave location is not listed).  So I am wondering if maybe Cedar Grove (Norfolk, not Portsmouth) had an early area designated as Hickory.  Anyone know?

Katie Holland
Washington, DC