VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2017

From:
"Metz, John (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2017 12:28:54 +0000
Hi Vanessa

You're question is a bit of a tricky one to answer, but I think its best to say that it was easier for white craftsmen to compete against enslaved craftsmen simply because white craftsmen were free to compete, while enslaved tradesmen worked at the direction of their owners.  First, it is important to point out from a skills standpoint that slaves were as good as the training they were provided as well as the leeway their owners allowed for them to develop as tradesmen.  Evidence for this is the furniture made at Monticello, the stonemasons that John Hartwell Cocke trained at Bremo in Fluvanna, or David Drake, the enslaved, high skilled potter from Edgefield South Carolina (each of these is well documented).  While there is ample evidence that enslaved tradesmen were responsible for the exquisite construction details of plantations like Monticello and Bremo (and many other buildings), the vast majority of slaves trained in the building trades were sound, accomplished builders, but few were given the opportunity to become masters because the need wasn't there - most were trained to frame and finish structures.  Then again, the same could be said for white builders working through much of the rural South. So, I would say that there wasn't technically a difference in the skill sets.

There is evidence that some slaveholders, engaged in milling and other trades as by-employment, particularly on smaller farms and in regions less devoted to labor intensive market crops like tobacco and cotton. In these cases, directed his slaves in the operation of his business. Perhaps more frequently, slaveholders hired their skilled slaves out to maximize the return on those trades - quite simply, there is only so much building, smithing, stonecutting, etc. that a skilled slave could do on the average farm or plantation, and it was a better business decision to make money renting them out to individuals who were in need of those skills rather than have them work at lower skilled jobs like tending crops and livestock.  I'd recommend a recent book on this from 2013 called, Slaves for Hire: Renting Enslaved Laborers in Antebellum Virginia.

All the best
John