VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2005

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 07:16:06 -0500
Hi, Ms. Nel.  For answers to your questions, further search is needed in the contemporary records.  Tithables lists were not designed to reveal more than what number of what category of people was tithable, and who was chargeable with those taxes.

What may be said is that the symbol is "Exr", an abbreviation for "Executor", and as such, Arthur is chargeable for that horse, which almost surely belongs to the estate of which that same Arthur is the representative.

While we know someone is dead and an estate is being executed, this list does not reveal who that was; only that Arthur is so chargeable for a horse that belongs to that estate.  The entry for Barnette reveals in and of itself nothing about any relationship with Arthur, nor does it reveal why Barnette is liable for one tithable and a horse, yet is assessed only 12 cents, while Arthur pays the same amount for a single horse.  The general assembly records will reveal the terms of that tithable/levy, and it is there that the horse-slave question will likely be answered.

The courts minutes or probate records or both will reveal the estate for which Arthur is Exr., however remember that he may NOT be from that county, though the horse is being kept there.

Paul