VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2001

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:38:51 EDT
Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if there are any Savage researchers out there.  I am trying to
sort out conflicting information. I came across some files I'd long forgotten
where I was told that wife of  my ancestor Edward HAMMOND, d. ca 1716 inn
Somerset Co MD (I have the date somewhere), was Anne SMITH, who was the
daughter of John Smith and first wife Rebecca, widow of an Ensign Thomas
SAVAGE.

According to my information Thomas Savage and Rebecca had one son, John who
died in 1678 in Northampton Co VA.  He married three times:  Ann Elkington,
Grace Cowdry and Mary Robins.

My question is was this Thomas Savage indeed the same one (as I have been
told) who died in 1633 in Accomac and had a role in very early Colonial VA
history:  "Ensign Thomas SAVAGE was born about 1595 in Chester, England. He
emigrated in 1607 from England to Virginia. He died between 1631 and 1633 in
Accomac Co., VA. He was buried in Cherry Grove. He signed a will on 12 Aug
1631 in Accomac Co., VA. The will was probated on 24 Sept 1633.Thomas Savage
came to VA in the first supply with Capt. Christopher Newport, who arrived at
Jamestown on 8 Jan 1607/8. Newport accompanied by 30 men set out to visit the
Indian Chieftain Powhatan at his seat Werowocomoco, on the Pamunkey (York )
River. He was welcomed by two or three hundred savages."

It appears that there is conflicting information on this Thomas.  Some
information on websites say Rebecca was Thomas d. 1633's wife, others say it
was a Hannah Tyng,

Or was the one I am looking for as seems more likely the Thomas Savage who
dies in Accomac intestate in 1655, with Rebecca as the executrix of his
estate?  If this scenario is correct, then what was the relationship between
Thomas, with wife Hannah who d. 1633 and Thomas d. 1655.

Any help regarding which Thomas Savage (and who his ancestors are) was my
ancestor Rebecca's husband is much appreciated.

FYI, Rebecca preceded her second husband John Smith in death.  An abstract of
his 1677 will, which includes reference to another Thomas Savage, reads:
SMITH, JOHN, Taylor - 27 Oct. 1677 - 19 Feb. 1677 - To eldest son George
Smith 200 A where I now live, reversion to his brothers. Wife Joyce. To son
James 150 a adj. George's land. To son John 150 A adj. the land of his
brother James, reversion to my youngest son Thomas. To dau. Ann Hammon. Son
in law Edward Hamon. To my 5 youngest children, James, John, Thomas, Director
& Joyce. Son-in-law Thomas Savage. To John Tomson and wife Rebecca. John
Tomson, George Smith & Thomas overseers over my above named children. Sons to
be at age at 18 & daus at 15. Witt: John Booth, Alexander Addison. -

Best Regards,

Janet Hunter