VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2006

From:
Lee Anne Center <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee Anne Center <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 23:48:42 -0500
I hope someone on the list can help with an interesting topic that is a
running discussion on another list that I belong to (not rootsweb). I don't
have the knowledge to know the answer, but am definitely interested, as I
have a female Coil ancestor who married Thomas J. Crail.

fryerbyrd writes: ".can anyone tell us where we can find any records of
Irish, English or Scottish emigrants taking an Oath of Allegiance to the
King of England in the colonies in 1762? I would love to explore this avenue
of research if it is available through microfilm, court records or online,
any avenue available would be fine."

Part of this running discussion is whether or not Valentine and Gabriel
Coil, who were naturalized in VA in 1762 and 1764 (I assume respectively),
were German or Scots or Irish. The belief of some is that they would not
have had to be naturalized if they were Scots or Irish, but they would have
had to be if they were German.

Lee Anne