VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2003

From:
"Levy, Suzanne S." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Levy, Suzanne S.
Date:
Mon, 26 May 2003 17:27:34 -0400
I would suggest you contact the LDS church in Salt Lake and ask if they would be willing to microfilm the records. My aunt did this ten or so years ago and two boxes of her notes along with information she collected in Germany and the US are now preserved. They were returned to her and are now in my possession. But I can be assured that come flood or fire, there are copies somewhere. And they can be borrowed from the LDS library.

As a Librarian in a special collection I can attest to the fact that it is very difficult to keep these holdings. Space is always a problem and unless they have been meticulously arranged before you take possession, chances are it won't be a high priority to get them organized. In some cases gifts of this size have to be approved by library directors or even boards and they can ask tough questions about the cost and benefits of keeping these things. And you have no guarantee that they will be kept forever.

Suzanne Levy

Fairfax Virginia