VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2011

From:
Poldi Tonin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2011 17:16:11 -0500
Sharon:
Have you looked at the Parrish families in Pittsylvania Co. VA?
Also in Isle of Wight area?
As for Clarks/Clarkes in SC, Some of the children of Francis Clarke migrated
to Anson Co. NC in mid 1700s. They are also to be found across the border
near the Pee Dee River in what is now Darlington Co. and was the Cheraw.

I am a Langford/Lankford researcher and folks with this name married Clarks
and Parrish families in Virginia. They also married Griffins in Greene
County Mississippi where many SC families migrated in early 1800's while it
was still the Mississippi Territory.
One Langford man married a Lois Mullins in Kentucky about 1810. He was
Stephen Lankford of Pittsylvania Co. VA son of Benajmin Lankford. Mullins
family are found in Pittsylvania Co.

Sorry to say that most records of Pittsylvania are not abstracted nor filmed
by FHC. They may be available in Archives in
Richmond and available through the archives on Interlibrary loan. I found
that requests were slow in being filled and had to send backup requests.

The Dallas library has some of the abstracted records for Pittsylvania Co.
in book form and also Halifax Co. records are available in book form. As to
microfilm, at this time I am not sure if they have been able to purchase
Halifax Co. records.
Pittsylvania Co. microfilmed records are being held hostage in Pittsylvania
Co. and in the VA archives. FHC has been denied access to film these
records. You can check the Library of Virginia page for further caveats
regarding access to Pittsylvania Co.records.

Dallas library is open on Saturdays and on Sunday afternoons. That is until
further budget cuts are made.
Their holdings as far as books are concerned and is on line. Check out
DallasCityHall.com and click on library.
Or just Google Dallas Public Library, Main library on Young Street.
I don't think you will need a library card to access the genealogy or
history depts. index.
I recently purchased all the books still available for Pittsylvania Co.

Good hunting.

Poldi in Dallas.

--

"She is insane, of course. The family history has become a mania for her."
Hercule Poirot

http://www.FrontPorchRockerNews.blogspot.com

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Langford
This project includes Lankford spelling also.

"Truth and reason are eternal. They have prevailed. And they will
eternally prevail; however, in times and places they may be overborne
for a while by violence, military, civil, or ecclesiastical."
--Thomas Jefferson Thomas Jefferson, 1810