VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2008

From:
Clay Gullatt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 10:21:08 -0800
Scott

1787 Personal Property Tax List Fairfax Co. VA (Truro Parish)
Gollatt(Gullatt) Rachael 0  1  4  0 1 Widow
 0 Number of males over 16 and under 21
1 Blacks above 16
4  Blacks under 16
0 horses, coldts and mules
1 cattle

1788 Tax List Fairfax Co. VA (Truro Parish)
Gollatt(Gullatt), Rachael
8 whites 1 house and 1 other building

I don't know if they mean 8 whites total or Rachael plus 8 whites. I have the names of 7 children.

I got this out of a small booklet of Fairfax Co's Tax Lists which I bought 4 years ago off the internet, the bookelet was misplaced when I moved 3 years ago, I don't remember the name of the publishing company. it was a VA or MD company.

Correct her husband's name to Peter Gullatt/Gollatt b. 17 Jun 1740 d. Feb/Mar 1784 a blacksmith who trained George Washington's and his stepson's slaves as blacksmith. John Gullatt/Gollatt was Peter's younger brother also a blacksmith. Peter and John were originally from St. Stephens Parish, Cecil Co. MD where the name was spelled various as Golat, Gullet, Gullett and changed to Gullatt by a court clerk in 1753 with the administration of Peter and John's father's (John Gullett/Gullatt b. 30 Apr 1711) by a court clerk. Rachael b. ca 1740 d ca 1831was oldest daughter of Charles and Rebekah (Hamilton) Thrift.

Clay Gullatt
Mount Airy