VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2012

From:
Linda Threadgill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2012 09:37:46 -0700
Steve,
Yes, If you test 46 markers and you match the person 45/46 the probability
that you and the other person share a common ancestor is high. It is less
probable if you and the person do not share the same surname. If you go to
FTDNA , their FAQ should answer questions. As for your question regarding if
someone tests 36 and the other 46, well both will have to test for the same
amount of markers. The person who tested 36 will have to test 46 markers to
get a good comparison or bother can be compared by used only 36 markers for
both.  Do they match 36/36 at 36 markers? BTW,,you shouldn't have to test
with FTDNA to be able to access their FAQ section. I could possibly send you
a comparison chart to your personal email address, but I don't think the
mailing list can handle it if I cut and pasted it into this email.
Linda