VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2007

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:12:30 -0500
Karen,

My one and only "Davidson DNA match" (so far) confirmed what I had always
suspected (thankfully), and without that test, I would never have been able
to prove my connection back to the Davidsons who were in James City Co., VA
by the 1680s.  Based on "paper trails"/"documentation" alone, it appears
that there were at least a dozen (!) or so Davidson/Davison/Davisson
families in just Virginia alone, from the 1600s through the 1800s.  I never
dreamed that this surname was that common.  DNA continues to show that at
least most of these families truly do NOT share a common male
Davidson/Davison/Davisson ancestor within any "genealogically significant
timeframe."  I wish that we could get a donor from ALL of those families (we
probably have donors from about half of them at this time).

Note: As I always like to say, if we believe in a "first man" and a "first
woman"....who were the ancestors of everyone else....then we are ALL
related.  It is just a matter of "how far back is too far" for DNA to be a
useful/reliable tool.  Once you get back to the time before surnames were
even used (e.g., Jesus, Moses, etc.), genealogy starts to get a little
"crazy" anyway.

Our Davidson/Davison/Davisson DNA testing project now has about 80 people
segregated into 16 separate/"unrelated" families.  We also have about 40
people who do not currently match/closely match anyone (or who have done
only 12 markers, and that is not enough to make "definitive connections," in
most cases).  Not only were there more "unrelated" families with the same
surnames in early-America than most of us apparently expected, there were
also apparently many more "non-paternity events" (adoptions, "affairs,"
etc.), as well as name changes (for all kinds of reasons), than most people
probably imagined.

I also have two "non-Davidson" DNA matches/close matches (at the 37 marker
"level"), and one of these men lives in the United States and has the
surname of "Bishop."  The other man lives in Finland, and his surname is
"Paananen" (but he has traced his line back just a few generations to a man
with the surname of "Johansson").  Per DNA, both men have over a 95% chance
of sharing a common male ancestor with me within about the last 16
generations, as I recall.  My DNA test shows that I probably have a "Viking
heritage" (per my haplotype of "I"), and I can only guess as to when my
ancestors "adopted" the name of "Davidson."  They probably did so after
eventually "blending-in" with Scottish society (LONG before Christopher
Columbus).

In my opinion, anyone who is truly interested in their lineage should have a
male of the appropriate surname participate in the DNA test.  As a matter of
fact, I can't even imagine anyone not participating (I would literally not
take a million dollars for my "match results").  Unfortunately, not everyone
can find a male with the surname of interest, and some cannot afford the
roughly $190 for a 37 marker test.  The Davidson/Davison/Davisson group is
in the early stages of trying to set-up a fund, to which people can
contribute.  This fund would then be used to help pay for DNA testing, where
needed.

DNA testing for "genealogy purposes" is still fairly new.  I think that we
are the "pioneers" in the use this technology, and we need to get as many
men as possible to join.....before certain "male surname lines" are gone
forever.  I look at genealogy as just another search of history....just on a
more individual/family level.  To "lose history" forever (or to simply
ignore it) is always rather sad, in my opinion.  I know of "non-Davidson"
men, as well as several Davidson and "non-Davidson" women, who would LOVE to
find a viable male Davidson from their family who would join the DNA test,
and many of these folks would gladly pay for the test, if such a donor was
available, but not willing (or able) to pay.

It appears that some people do not have the proper understanding of just how
good and reliable the Y chromosome DNA test is.  Many don't see how this
test can possibly "zero-in" on their father's direct line, since there are
untold numbers of other families/surnames in his "blood"/"family tree."  The
key is, of course, that this particular test "looks" just at the common DNA
that goes from father to son, and it essentially "ignores" all of the other
male and female lines that we all have in our "blood"/"family trees."  That
is why my test was able to show that I have a 99+% chance of sharing a
common ancestor with my matching Davidson donor, despite our "most recent
common ancestor" being all the way back in the early-mid 1700s.  This type
of result is quite typical, so many people probably don't realize "what they
are missing" by not joining.  Even if a person matches no one, that is still
great information (no sense "chasing" the "wrong" family in future research
efforts).

You mentioned the Mason family.  My Davidson family married into the Mason
family in Charlotte Co., VA, and it appears that this Mason family came out
of Campbell Co., VA.  Was this Mason family in the
Charlotte/Campbell/Bedford Co., VA area related to your Mason family?

Best regards,

Bill Davidson