VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2001

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 23:46:43 EDT
Hello Everyone,

I don't think that Don Blankenship has posted on these lists his wonderful
Blankenship website including for Henrico (Dale Parish...later Chesterfield
Co.) partial early deed/patent information and a wonderful reproduction of an
1823 plat map (I'd never seen before), with owners 1750 plus or minus 50
years affixed to land plots on the map.  FYI, the Blankenship immigrant was
indentured (if I read it right) to Richard Kennon.

Anyway, all of you with ancestors there, or looking for them any time 50
years either side of 1700, especially if you've got deeds, patents, wills,
court orders in your hands, in that area should go and take a look, see if
your mapping matches what's there, etc.

You apparently have to go  through the "front door" to get to the links so
here is that door  http://www.megabits.net/~donb/index.htm

Scroll down to these links for transcriptions of many (not all) original
patents and deeds in the area:
#1 - Hundreds of Deeds granted in Henrico County, VA 1636-1783
 #2 - More Henrico Co., Virginia Land Patents from 1656-1780
 #3 - Henrico Co., VA Land Patent Extracts (1636-1783)

Then the "MAP" is here, and you have to give this time to load and scroll
down past the first map, which has most names illegible, to a blow up....and
then if you live near the Blankenships there's even more mapping.  ALSO you
can figure out where you are because today's highways/freeways have been
inserted.  Here's the link to click:

 Map of Ralph and Martha Blankinship's original Homestead ca. 1700.

I hope that this will be helpful to many of you as it was to me with my
Baughs (and maybe clues to their LNU wives!)

Best Regards,
Janet (Baugh) Hunter