VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2002

From:
Ann Avery Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:13:20 -0400
Rene Worsley wrote:

> Ancestry.com has been very helpful for me with census data and
> as a general start-up for genealogy research.  If you are past that stage of research, it's
> probably not worth the money.

Oh yes it is! I've been researching for 45+ years, and Ancestry is worth
every penny. The census databases are the greatest. The Library of VA
here does not have census records for every state in every year, and I
used to wait 3 mos. for a bus trip to D.C. or spend weeks ordering and
waiting for microfilm to be sent to the LDS. Now I can go straight to
the record I need any time of the day or night, and in some cases records
that were too dim to be deciphered on microfilm are now readable since they
have been digitally enhanced.

Ann
--
Ann Avery Hunter