VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2004

Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 05:35:57 -0500
Paul,

I was very interested in your message about people being bound out by the
courts.  It's always been my understanding that white children were bound
out until they were 21, and that black or mixed race children ONLY were
bound until age 30.  It's been a way I've used to determine the race of the
child.  Have I been mistaken? Or were different practices used at different
times?

Libbie Griffin