VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2004

From:
Priestley Toulmin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:40:21 -0500
Whoa, Paul, it isn't always that easy -- or obvious.  Consider:  I have a
cousin, whom I'll call L, whose 4th great-grandfather (I'll call him H) is
my 2nd great-grandfather.  Counting up my line, we are third cousins twice
removed; counting up his line, we are fifth cousins twice removed (removal
in the opposite sense).  To muddy the waters a bit more, we are descended
from different wives of H, so though H is our closest single common
ancestor, H's parents are our closest common ggrandparents.  So you could
make a case for our being:
1.     Third (half?) cousins  twice removed;
2.     Fifth (half?) cousins  twice removed;
3.     Fourth cousins  three times removed;  or
4.     Sixth cousins  three times removed.

Sticking to the shortest-line approach, should we say that L is my third
(half?) cousin twice removed but I am his fifth (half?) cousin twice
removed? Or vice versa?  Or am I obsessing over the number of generations
on a pinhead?  Could ambiguities like this affect per stirpes computations
in determining inheritance?

Looking forward to your thoughts,

Pete Toulmin