VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2013

From:
Madaline Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 13:44:33 -0400
Hello to you too.  I checked a book I own:  "Architecture in Downtown
Richmond" that  gives the history, with photos, of architecture in this
area beginning in 1780.  Wouldn't you know it showed the building front of
626 being replaced...not the original building and nothing for 624.

Very early vendors set up along the train tracks that ran down the middle
of Broad Street to take advantage of the market created by passengers'
needs.   There were living spaces above many of these shops/emporiums.   I
would prevail upon the Library of Virginia to check the City Directory for
those two years.
Good luck in your quest.  (I hope you get better info from someone who
knows what they are talking about :) .
M. Preston