VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2008

From:
Pat Grogan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:03:34 EDT
A male relative in my family had his DNA tested. As it turns out there are 7
men who match him 25 out of 25 markers. This means they all related and had a
common ancestor somewhere back in Virginia.

Now, the family that the paper trail leads to had 4 brothers. Can I just pick
out the one that I want to be my ancestor and claim him or do I need further
proof?

Seems to me that is exactly what they did in the Thomas Jefferson - Hemings
case, they DECIDED Thomas Jefferson was the one even though it could have been
someone else in that same family.

Pat

Genealogy without documentation is mythology.