VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2003

Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 16:59:48 EST
Hello listers ~

I found the following info on my ggrandfather on the Southampton County
Historical Society's website quite some time ago under the heading of
"Nansemond County Confederates":

"Andrew Jackson Rabey - 41st Virginia Infantry, Company I, Private Rabey was
born October 19, 1837 in Nansemond County, the son ofKedar and Elizabeth
Knight Rabey. He married Emeline Elizabeth Savage, the daughter of John and
Rebecca Lentis Savage on February 3, 1859. Rabey was discharged from service
because of disability. Soon after, he organized a Guerrilla band and was made
the 1st Sergeant. They held the line of the Blackwater for several months and
had several engagements with the landtroops near Holy Neck. Later he assisted
in mounting a company that was attached to a Georgia Regiment. He served on
detached duty in the Commissary Department until the Surrender. During the
war, his house was used for a hospital and then burned by the enemy. His wife
was at one time held prisoner within the federal lines for about a month.
After the war, Rabey owned a farm about seven miles south of Suffolk."

I was told informally by the webmaster, Cliff Hedgepeth, that the information
probably came from the Virginia Regimental History series.  I recently
acquired the 41st VA Infantry book through my library and find, to my dismay,
that Andrew Jackson Rabey is not even listed as a member of that group.
There is also an on-line book on same website that is about the Blackwater
fighting - again never mentioning my ggrandfather.

Does this information format look familiar to anyone?  Is anyone also
researching the 41st Infantry?  Can anyone advise where this may have come
from?  The website information was compiled by Bruce Saunders and Marion
Joyner Watson.  Does anyone know them or their email addresses?

Any help would be appreciated.

Carol (Rabey) Talbot