VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2000

Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 16:54:22 EST
I am trying to find out want a couple of terms mean in some *very* abreviated
abstracts.  A word here and a word there and I am having trouble trying to
grasp the meaning.

1. What is a Trover?

2. In a lawsuit, One man vs another man.  There is a third person's name with
*garnishee*.  Does this mean that the 3rd person has the garnished items from
the second?

3. Another suit has following the two names, Case in Attachment.

4. The very next time has following the two names, Original Attachment.

5. This one I cannot begin to even ask questions about.   Robert Smith vs
John Gallagher. Orr. Attachm't. William Wragg comes in and replevy's a Brown
horse, and enters himself with Alexander McWhorter and John Eakin security
for £10 to try the right with the Distrainor.

6.   William Hill Esqr vs John Rice.  O. Att.  The s'd attachment being
levied in the hands of William Wragg as Garnishee.  Garnishee says he owes £
15.16 procl., William Howe comes and replevys the note of hand and enters
himself with Matthew Dickson security in the sum of £18 to interplead & try
the right. Court decrees that Plaintiff recover against William Wragg,
garnishee, £ 9.3.9.

Thank you for any explination you can offer to help me understand these.
Since the list is a little slow these days, maybe you could post and let
others see and learn. I have learned more from this list than all others
combined.

Gale Fuller