VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2001

Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 11:54:21 EST
According to my information, Samuel Bonnett Hinzman was born on 20 May 1840
in Lewis County, VA/WV & died on 16 May 1922 in Jackson County, WV. Samuel
Bonnett Hinzman was a private in Company "G" of the 60th VA Infantry, CSA. He
was wounded in action at Cloyd's Mountain, VA on 9 May 1864. From that time
until 16 July 1865, he was a POW. I do not know where he was imprisoned.

One of his grandsons was named Ross Donaldson or Donaldson Ross Hinzman. He
went by the name of Ross. I have been told that he was named for an officer
with whom his grandfather may have served. My research has uncovered a
Captain Alexander Donaldson that led a group of Roane County Scouts during
the War Between the States.

Does anyone have any more information on Samuel Bonnett Hinzman & his
military experiences? Were Captain Donaldson's Roane County Scouts closely
associated with Company "G" of the 60th VA Infantry Regiment, CSA? Where was
Samuel Bonnett Hinzman imprisoned?

Thank you in advance for any information or guidance. I look forward to
hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Mike Peters