VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2004

From:
Langdon Hagen-Long <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Langdon Hagen-Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:00:22 -0800
Jack, I agree with you.  And I would add that some of
"stealing" is innocent, if thoughtless.

Many of the people on the net aren't trying to write a
book - they are just trying to find their family. That
*feels* less formal. They feel they are only
researching as a gift to their own family. I think its
possible that they don't realize that copyright and
courtesy still apply to them, even on the informal
internet.

What really irks me are the people who have huge
sites, and understand copyright enough to have every
page stating, "I worked 20 years on this.  Please
don't steal my work."   You look through their 20
years of work, and there is not one citation to the
hundreds of sources they must have used.

I reached one such site this morning, when I was
trying to find a definition. It was an excellant site
for information - with warnngs and pleas not to
violate copyright on everypage. I found the
definition, which was obviously straight out of a
legal dictionary. It can't use it because no source
was given. I'm not going to use the owner of this page
as my source, and the page doesn't state the published
dictionary that was used, so its absolutely useless.
That is a lot of work to produce "useless" and
egocentric.

This type of site is only going to confuse newcomers
concerning copyrights.

For the first time in my life, I'm thinking of writing
to the owner to suggest that sources be added to every
page so that the material can be used by researchers.

What do you think?

Langdon Hagen- Long