VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 11:30:52 EDT
Fellow Virginia Researchers

I am in the early stages of researching the Waller ancestry of my Mary WALLER
who marries Crispen SHELTON in 26 October 1807 in Pittsylvania County, VA.
The marriage record says that her father is John.  Crispen Shelton is the son
of Vincent Shelton & Susannah Robertson, Grandson of Crispen Shelton &
Letitia ??Buford/Payne/Montacue?? and Henry Robertson (d. 1782 Amelia Co.)
and Anne unk.

Looking at various Amelia County and Pittsylvania County records, I am drawn
to the possibility that this John Waller is the son of MAJOR WALLER who dies
in Nottoway County, VA. in 1794 (see Will and court records below). He
purchased land in 1742/3 in Amelia County (later falling in Nottoway County)
from William Berry, and was identified as being "of Spotsylvania County"
then. John Waller and Edward Waller are witnesses to that deed. Also
appearing on Amelia County 1740s, 1750s tax lists are Benjamin and William
Waller. (These are all the names of John Waller & Dorothy King's
children...but none of them seem to be located in Amelia Co.?) A John Waller
purchased land from John Tucker in Amelia County in 1745.

There are tax records and other references that indicate "Major" was his
given name, or he used it in legal documents. I cannot find a "Major" Waller
amongst my genealogies of the Spotsylvania Wallers. Perhaps this was a
toddlerhood moniker that stuck forever? He would have had to have been born
by 1720 at least, to purchase land in 1742/3 in Amelia County.

Major Waller's children marry into these families: PARHAM ELLIS, BUFORD
SHELTON, BENNETT. Neighbors in Amelia were Stith BOLLING, Marston GREENE,
Philmer GREENE.   I believe several of his children migrated to Pittsylvania
County, as did the Sheltons and members of other allied families from Amelia
Co., such as the Robertsons and Colemans.

In terms of the later connections with Pittsylvania Sheltons I append
mentions of likely descendants of this family in Pittsylvania in the 1850s in
a Diary of William C. Shelton.

I appreciate any suggestions on the ancestry, or particularly researchers on
the descendants of Major WALLER, who might know whether I am on the right
track. FYI, I had earlier been given information that my Mary Waller was the
granddaughter of George Waller II and Anne Winston Carr, but further
documents showed that their granddaughter Mary by son John Waller and wife
Mary Polly Cooper was born in 1800.  And would have been only 7 years at the
time of the marriage (and thus ended that connection).

 Below are several snippets of documents. I have more information, but just
witnesses or neighbors, etc., and have not done a sweep of all available
Amelia or Pittsylvania Co abstracts.

I am interested in anyone's thoughts, particularly from any you  researching
the families that married Major Waller's daughters (and sons if I could
determine them!) -- not to mention placement of Major Waller in the greater
Waller scheme.  I still do have to obtain two, possibly three probate records
for John Wallers in Pittsylvania, but am hoping there are others searching
these families.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards, Janet (Baugh) -- Hunter [log in to unmask] (more)

Amelia County, Deed Book 2
(page 26) Deed. WILLIAM BERRY of Stratton Major Parish, King & Queen Co.,
(Va.) to MAJOR WALLER of St. George Parish, Spotsylvania Co. (Va.). D. Oct.
17, 1743. Consid: 15 pounds. Wit: John WALLER, Edward WALLER, & Elizabeth
PRYOR. 386 acres bought of William PRYOR and Ann, his wife, by deed Mar 15,
1742 (no location of land given). Possession obtained by Major Waller on Oct.
17, 1743 in Presence of Thomas ELLIS and Richard KELLEY.

Will of Major Waller, Nottoway County, VA.(formed in 1789 from Amelia Co)

<A HREF="http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~janicekmc/ralphsr.htm">http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~janicekmc/ralphsr.htm</A>
"The Will of Major Waller, written 23 Jan 1793, and probated 11 Dec 1794, in
Nottoway Co., VA names wife Elizabeth Waller, his daughters, Susannah Parham
(who married James Parham), MARY BUFORD, Elizabeth Ellis, Christianna
Bennett, Dicey Waller, and his sons John, William, Hampton, Garred, and Major
Waller." from Jan Shelton Nixon.

<Janet Hunter Insert: I have obtained a copy of Major Waller's will and
impressive inventory, and it lists neighbors STITH BOLLING, MARSTON GREENE in
the division of land among three sons. Three GREENE men are witnesses
including PHILMER GREENE. I know there are Shelton connections with these
Greenes, having possible Filmer ancestry myself.>

An Order Book entry for the Nottoway County Court for 7 May 1796, names the
following litigants including identification of the name of spouses.:
Susannah Parham (husband James ):
GABRIEL SHELTON and MARY his wife (JH Note:  Mary's Buford husband is
deceased and she remarries Gabriel Shelton, my Crispen Shelton's uncle -- 29
June 1794 Gabriel Shelton and Mary Beuford. Sur. Reddick Shelton,
Pittsylvania);
William Ellis and Eliza his wife;
Richard Bennett and Christianna his wife;
John Waller;
Garred Waller-Exors of Major Waller, dec'd.
VS
William Waller
Hampton Waller
Dicey Waller- Infants and orphans of Major Waller, dec'd.".

WILLIAM WALLER WILL, 1797 (prob. 1805) PITTSYLVANIA COUNTY (Source:
Pittsylvania Will Abstracts)

Page 281-282
Pr: 15 July 1805

LWT WILLIAM WALLER sick and weak in body but of perfect mind and memory.

To my beloved wife JANE WALLER all my estate during her widowhood and should
she marry, I lend her negroes Frank and Peter during her lifetime.

My estate to be divided between my six children: Mary, Daniel, Christopher,
James Tabitha and Sarah. Should my wife be pregnant then that child be equal
with the others.

The negros lent my wife to return to my estate and be divided between my
children.

Appoint Daniel GUNN, HAMPTON WALLER and John MORGAN executors.

Wit: William WHITE, Steth HARDY, Sarah BOOKER GUNN, Richard BENNANT

Jane Waller, executor.

[JANET HUNTER NOTE: William Waller, Hampton Waller and Christiana Waller
Bennett's husband Richard -- all in Major Waller's Will.  I believe this is
possibly Major Waller's son William)

THOMAS WALLER WILL, 1838, PITTSYLVANIA COUNTY (Source: Pittsylvania Will
Abstracts)

WALLER, Thomas - Wr 8 Nov 1838. Pro 17 Dec 1838. Wife: Nancy. Sons (all under
age 21): William, James, Hampton. Dau: Mary,Sarah. "Land in which Mrs. Ann
BARLEY holds a dower interest." Exec: John COLES, Marbel WHITEHEAD.
Wit: Wm L. PANNILL, Armistead SHELTON, Jr., John DURHAM.

<Some of these children in Thomas Waller's will seem to be referred to below>

WALLERS MENTIONED IN WILLIAM C. SHELTON DIARY 1850 PITTSYLVANIA COUNTY (sent
to me by cousin Beulah Barkes of Ohio, with her notes on family relationships
below.)

<JH Note:  William C. Shelton, was the son of Vincent Shelton Jr., and Nancy
Waller. Vincent Shelton, Jr. was the brother of my Crispen Shelton who
married Mary Waller, daughter of John, in 26 October 1807 in Pittsylvania.
Marriage: 17 May 1813 Vincent Shelton Jr. and Nancy Waller. Sur. William
Waller>

"A Diary Kept By William C. Shelton For The Year 1850" published in 1995 by
the VA-NC Piedmont Genealogical Society, Danville, VA.

Uncle Robert Waller
Uncle William M. Waller--age 60 on the 1850 Pittsylvania Co. census, living
alone
Aunt Nancy Waller---a widow, married to a Waller male, had four people living
with her on the 1850 census, none of the names, etc. are legible
Aunt Patsy Waller---could be single or married to a Waller, maybe
Robert?--did not find him on the 1850 census.
Cousin Hampton Waller
Cousin Sarah Waller
Cousin Mary Waller
Cousin James B. Waller--apparently he and all of the above mentioned cousins
were unmarried young adult siblings---James B. died in 1850 of typhoid fever
Cousin Richard H. Waller
Cousin William H. Waller---he was the brother of Richard, and he also was the
person who recorded the census for the northern district of Pittsylvania Co.
in 1850---he was single and lived with Daniel Johns on the 1850 census
Cousin Emily Waller and her young son---so she must have married a Waller