VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2011

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2011 07:30:07 -0400
Grace....yes, that is truly an excellent document on the Coleman family that
was written by Ms. Nichols.  While I certainly suspect that she was correct,
I wish I knew what her PROOF was that the John Brown who married Elizabeth
Brown (a daughter of Daniel Brown and Elizabeth Coleman) was a cousin of his
bride....and a son of Abraham Brown and Mary Tribble of Caroline Co., VA.
That was a different "branch" of the same overall Brown family that took-in,
named and reared my maternal gg-grandfather Smith W. Brown (who was actually
an "orphaned Smith infant").

Note: DNA testing in the last few years on living male Browns has shown that
the above John Brown was, in fact, a member of the same overall Brown family
as the family of the above Daniel Brown who married Elizabeth Coleman (that
Brown family "traces back" to the Francis Brown "I" who left his Will in
Essex Co., VA in 1691/1692).  DNA testing cannot prove, however, who John
Brown's father was.

Bill