VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2001

Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 21:44:34 EDT
Has anyone on the list run into a situation like the following?  I really
need to know. It has just happened to me for the SECOND time - in a different
family line.  Here are the facts of the first situation.

1850 Census

Wilburn H. Wilson, my 2g-grandfather is shown living in the household of his
parents in McMinn County, TN, in the 1850 census. Living nearby is the family
of John A. Thompson - they have a 16 year old daughter named Louisa.

In January 1851, Louisa Thompson and Wilburn Wilson are married in McMinn
County.  In November 1852, their first child (my great grandfather) was born.
In 1853, this new family, along with several other families migrate to Barry
County, MO.

1860 Census

In the 1860 census of Stone County, MO, Wilburn and Louisa are now shown to
be the parents of four children ranging from age 9 years to 9 months.

Now the mystery:  The 1860 census of McMinn County, TN, also shows Louisa,
age26, still living in her parents household. An older brother and sister are
also shown living at home.

Thinking that I made a mistake earlier, I checked every THOMPSON family in
all surrounding counties.  None had a daughter named Louisa in the correct
age range for marriage.

I DO NOT think that Louisa traveled all that distance back to TN to visit her
parents leaving her husband and four small children at home in MO.

Questions:

1.  Has anyone seen this situation before?  As I previously stated, I have
just encountered it again in another family line - I just do not have as much
concrete data as in this case.

2.  Do you have an opinion about the situation?  What do you think happened?

Thanks for your input.

Larry Wilson
Texas