VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2002

Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 22:36:08 EST
Was Orphans bound out at a certain age?
If so what was it?
Did each county have different ages or was there a law on it?

In Henrico Parish (Virginia) in 1740 a JOHN WEST was bound out no father
given.
In Henrico Parish (Virginia) there was a DRURY WEST, orphan of John West
bound out in 1758.
I am guessing, assuming  these are brothers and sons of JOHN WEST  and
probably the childrens Mother's name was ELIZABETH.
I am also assuming (both can you can in trouble for that ha ha) that
Elizabeth is the Mother as also in these records however I am very unsure of
that because it is at a much later date. In the Reports of Overseers of the
Poor & Auditor's Account for Henrico Co., in 1787 there is 750 allotted for
ELIZABETH WEST'S ORPHANS.  Seems likely she is NOT  as that would be an
awfully long span.

Marlene West Perry