VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2001

Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:02:47 EDT
What would be the recommendation for doing research in 1811 Mathew's County?  This is new territory for me, as my entire family has been from Norfolk.  Yesterday I found the death record in the Registers for AF Tarrell, a widow who died in 1885 at age 74 with her birthplace listed as Mathew's.  We have been assuming her maiden name was Fernandez, a name that is in Norfolk back to the early 1700s when Abraham Fernandez is listed in colonial Recorrds as a shipper.  Anne F (how she is listed on her son's death cert) was married to Nicholas Tarrall who died between 1862-7 and is buried in Cedar Grove Norfolk (where she is also listed, no gravestone found) on the plot of Joseph Fernandez, a gent the age of their children.  Nicholas was once (and now again) thought to be the Nicholas listed in Kingston Parish born 1776 or so (we thought that would make him too old but have to rethink now) to Michael and Susanna Tyrell. All of my research has shown only one other Nicholas in all of V!
a (in 1850 in Louisa Co).  Any s
uggestions?

Katie