VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 11:11:13 EDT
Hello Everyone,

For anyone in the Metropolitan Washington DC area, or planning research trips
here, I thought you'd all be interested to know that the wonderful DAR
Library and Museum will be changing their weekend hours as of June 1, 2002.
Instead of being open Sunday afternoons, the Library (and Museum) will be
open from 9:00 am to 5:00 p.m. on Saturdays (subject to closing for various
events of course).

As a resident of northern Virginia this is wonderful news.  In addition to an
always helpful staff, the library has an extensive collection of family
history books (in all their well-known, mostly marginally documented,
sometime inaccurate glory), state and county books, other history books, ship
list books, etc., a pretty much complete set of census microfilms up through
1900, and some thereafter, the microfilms of Revolutionary War pension files,
other miscellaneous microfilms by state and county (such as many NC Quaker MM
microfilms, complete set of microfilms of Amelia Co VA wills, microfilms of
Virginia land patents, etc.) -- not to mention all of the DAR applications
and their supporting files which are chock full of wills, marriage licenses,
bible records, miscellaneous clippings, etc.  Supporting files are separate
from the applications and must be requested at the Library Desk.  Microfilms
are in a room in the basement, which I didn't discover until I'd been
visiting for about two years.  Furthermore, it has got to be one of the few
remaining libraries on the continent with its before-computerization card
catalog still available for perusing.

I hope this helps some of you out there.

Best Regards,

Janet (Baugh) Hunter