VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2001

Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:16:56 EDT
Greetings
The Halifax County Cemetery books give scant information on locations of the
cemeteries listed.

Someone has been kind enough to take the time to send me instructions on how
to reach the Oakland Cemetery in Scottsburg, Va (the books only provide it's
location as Scottsburg, Va .)

I think this is a great idea for those wishing to know more precisly where a
cemetery of interest to them is located, and if they wish, directions on how
to get there.

The directions sent to me follow:
   Heading east from state route 360 towards Scottsburg on state route 344
you drive through the town and as you exit the town you take the left fork,
state route 720.   Oakland Cemetery is just a short distance out of town and
is on the left side of the road.  The entrance is marked by 2 brick pillars.
The left has a stone with the cemetery name and the year 1894.  The right
pillar has the names of the founders.
I think this is a great idea !

With this in mind I am asking any of you guys that have knowledge of
directions to reach any of the Cemeteries in Halifax County, Va. to send them
to me, and I will try to preserve them for those who need the info now or in
the future.

I will post the cemeteries 10 at a time for a short while to see if it works.
If you or someone you know can give directions to any of them, please send
the directions to me.

If the idea dies, I tried.

First 10 Cemeteries.

CEM#    NAME                            LOCATION
001     AVERY FAMILY CEMETERY----   Hwy. 832, Meadsville va
002     SNEED FAMILY CEMETERY----   Hwy. 601, High Hill area
003     BELLE VIEW  ----------------------- Has not been located. Info from
Barksdale                                       genealogy

004     BELLEVUE        ----------------------  Hwy 729, South Boston Va.
005     BLACK WALNUT  -------------------   Hwy. 600, north of Clover, Va.
006     HOWERTON FAMILY -------------   Hwy. 718 near Denniston, Va
007     BLOOMSBURG      ----------------    Hwy. 58 east near Turbeville.
008     BLUE CEDARS  ---------------------  Hwy. 360, near Halifax, Va.
009     BRADLEY/JONES/EPPERSON  Hwy. 643 near McKendree Church.
010     BREWER-TUCKER FAMILY    ----    Hwy. 703 near Glenwood U. M.C.