VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2011 19:37:33 -0400
John McCarty,

From just a brief review of some information on the internet, it appears
that "McCarty" and "McCartney" have been "interchanged" on various records
over the years.  As such, the John McCarty who was on the 1810 Rockbridge
Co., VA census may very well have been the man shown on another record as
the John "McCartney" who married Jane "Ginny" Davidson in her home county of
"next-door" Botetourt Co., VA on 10 Jan 1803 (Rockbridge Co., VA was created
from portions of Botetourt Co., VA and Augusta Co., VA in 1778, as I
recall).   Ginny was a daughter of William Davidson, Senior (died about 1812
in Botetourt Co., VA) and Martha Baker.  Ginny was a sister of Reverend
Andrew Baker Davidson (Presbyterian), who you also mentioned several times
in your post.  This is a branch of my overall Davidson family (though not my
"direct line"), and I have "traced" this overall family back to James City
Co., VA by at least 1682.  Per DNA testing on me and other male Davidsons in
this family, we have a "Viking heritage" (haplogroup is "I").

Please be aware that there were at least FIVE....and possibly as many as
SIX....UNRELATED Davidson/Davison/Davisson families in the
Augusta/Botetourt/Rockbridge Co., VA area in the 1700s!  We have DNA donor's
from five of those six possible families, and we hope to find a donor from
other family someday.  As a matter of fact that sixth possible family
(headed by a John Davison who married Mary Allison) married into the family
of "my" William Davidson and Martha Baker on two occasions.  Sarah "Sally"
Davidson and her brother William Davidson, Junior of "my" Davidson family
married Robert Davi(d)son and his sister Jane "Jinny" Davi(d)son of the John
Davison and Mary Allison family.

Comments/questions?

Bill Davidson