VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2004

From:
Daryl Lytton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:57:09 -0800
Lynda (Harris) Lilly wrote:

> In light of the past few emails about posting information, do any of you
> recommend a web database where I can post the information I have
> gathered so far in hope of finding a match?.... Do you think I should
> get a website of my own?

You almost have two questions there :) RootsWeb is an excellent place to
put your ancestors, but you run the risk of never knowing exactly what
their parent company Ancestry might do with your data.

A website/server of your own is an excellent place to put your ancestors,
because you control your own data and can let Google index your people for
other researchers to find. In that case I'd recommend
http://www.ushosting.us where you get tons of features for building
websites.

There is another option...a brand new place where you can upload your
gedcom file, or enter your data person-by-person, and it will never be sold
nor will they ever charge a fee for the general public to view the
database. It's very fancy but very easy to use, stuff displays really fast,
there are no ads or pop-ups, there are many wonderful ways users can click
on to display the data, and it has the best Search options I've ever seen,
along with the Surname Index. They're working on a technical aspect right
now...how much to charge in order to keep it an ad-free service.

Daryl