VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2007

From:
Alice Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alice Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2007 07:31:21 -0700
Hi to the list...HELP PLEASE!

 I started this line for my aunt for a Christmas present some years back and not nearly as much was to found on line and I did do a good bit in the courthouses .  Now, my cousin is asking for a different tree printout (larger and bolder) so my aunt can see it better.  I started re-looking at what I had and saw to my chagrin, there were obvious errors...

Fact:
Bartlett Hawkins Fitzgerald married Mary Coleman; marriage recorded Albemarle
1785
Fact: Bartlett Hawkins Fitzgerald died 1836
Fact:
Bartlett Hawkins Fitzgerald was a Rev. War Vet.
Fact:
Mary Coleman aka Maskey was his widow,proven by:

 Nelson County, Virginia Court Order Book-1835-1840, p. 54
  In the June Court 1836
        Beginning 27th Day of June 1836

On the motion of Maskey Fitzgerald, and the testimony of Edward F. Coffey who  is a credible person. It is ordered to be certified that--she the said Maskey  Fitzgerald is the widow and relic of Bartlett Fitzgerald alias Bartlett Hawkins-- a Revolutionary pensioner of the United States, that the said Bartlett Fitzgerald  alias Bartlett Hawkins departed this life on the 3rd day of July 1836.

These are some of the problems I have that need your input:

1. I can find no age for Mary (Maskey Coleman) so guestimated with the rest of you at 1750-1760.  That would surely make her too old to be mother of Benjamin born 1817.  I is presumed Mary is the daughter of James Jeremiah Coleman and Elizabeth Leake.

2.  A Mary Coleman married John Hatter, and is presumed by many online references to be same Mary Coleman as wife of Fitzgerald.
 Problems with this are:  A)  Mary is named in her husband John Hatter's will written 1819;
B) John Hatter and Mary/Maske Coleman have children born well after Mary Coleman's marriage to Fitzgerald!

3.  Then we have Bartlett Fitzgerald's other stated marriages to Rebecca Patton and Lucy Terry.  No citations for dates, no ages for wives, no children assigned to them.  Is there any info out there that will shine some light on this?

Help please!

I have also sent to a variant of this message to Fitzgerald GenForum

Cuz Alice in Fluvanna  [[log in to unmask]]

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!