VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

From:
Alice Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alice Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 06:35:27 -0800

Is there a specific reason why you are only interested in the marriages of 1781?

At last visit to Albemarle County Clerk's Office, the extant original marriage bonds, consents, minister's returns were still on boxes on top of the of the row at the far back wall in the "vault room."  These are/were in pretty bad shape, having been folding into thirds and placed in these boxes one on top of the other.  When opening them, the folds often are so fragile, the paper then become three individual parts.
The boxes are/were labeled with date ranges, but I believe 1781 was included.

If one were to review these, perhaps they could make a list of those Rev. Maury reported.  This could then be compared with Vogt & Kethley compiled Albemarle marriages,1780 - 1853.    I believe this work was done using microfilm, rather than the originals in the county.  Their compilation gives 1782 - 1797 a total of 87 marriages recorded/performed by Rev. Matthew Maury in Albemarle Co., VA