VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2008 03:44:32 -0400
Quan -
I think that the most unexpected response I ever received was from my LDS brother when I told him I had found our Cherokee link, and it was a proven line... I was so happy, felt so 'smart' I had found it right where I thought I would, but he was anything but! Well perhaps I should have been not quite so abrupt when I called and told him to take that crown off his head and find a turkey feather and loin cloth! He was so shocked, he couldn't say thing at first... so like a good big sister, I explained what I had found, and where... exactly where I KNEW it had to be. I was so proud! so 'up'! His next words were, "You didn't have to find that did you? Just put it back where you found it and skip that line... " and he's a Mormon! don't they seal the American Indians? Well, with time he has accepted the well kept secret of our maternal grandmother - oh they knew their great-grandmother was 1/2 or more Cherokee blood, although she had lived only long enough to see one of Granny's children born. I have a wonderful photo of Mary Hembree Quailes (Mixed blood), with Granny (Hattie Nina Quailes Bowen) holding her oldest son (Charles Benson 'Charlie' Bowen), her mother-in-law, Anna Hembree Bowen, and her step-mother, Emma Elizabeth Harris Quailes. Granny's mother died when she was just 4, 'Big Mama Harris' was her Mom. There is absolutely no doubt looking at Granny that she has Cherokee blood - none at all - high cheekbones, narrow face... straight hair that was thick when she was young, then became thin (I inherited that hair and the high cheekbones, but there is too much Stark in me to look like Granny's kin. It was such an exciting story, as our family was related to the Vanns - and during the Rev., our kin painted their faces, and fought with the British... until they figured the Americans were winning, and then they changed sides and fought against the British! It all started with English traders taking Indian wives... and more than one was acceptable, as long as the man could take care of his families. Just that branch of our family is descended from two English traders whose children married Indians, so we are not sure of the % of each but its more than 1/2 - more like 3/4, but by the Civil War, Mary Hembree Quailes had moved into the white community and is W on the census.
I also took two crowns away from the family - and so far, have not found one to replace them... but oh what interesting history where our ancestors played such a large part. With 24 proven Rev. soldiers, and 9 proven C.S.A. soldiers... I'm getting there.
My goal has been to find the initial immigrant to the Colonies - where they were from and why they left and came here. I have had to accept that some I might never find... and think that one changed his birth name and lived with another family by the name he used... perhaps his mother was a widow who married into the family... perhaps he was a bonded orphan, nevertheless he turned out to be a leader in the community, and when he formed his own troop of horse during the Rev., all the neighbors joined, and he was their captain. I am thrilled that we were just able to place a marker honoring him by the grave of his son who has his own Seminole Indian War and CSA marker.
This has been a wonderful quest, and its just about time to get serious and begin putting it all together, leaving room for anything new that might come along.
Diane S

  I started over 20 years ago search family lines when you couldn't find anythin on the internet.  I don't think that the interest is fading I think that it is evolving again.  Genealogy went from history to commerical and as more researchers are finding that the commerical aspects are not always faithful it is changing back.

  The die hards are still and will always enjoy the hunt the excitement of finding that one record at a courthouses or archives will always be around.  I still think of myself as a novice who is learning something each day and also a die hard that loves the hunt.

  As a African American researcher I have to search two family trees.  I know how important it is to have those sources listed and copies of the orginal document.  Double work, double time researching and a lot of miles on the car.  I have seen, read and heard a lot.  Yes I have also had family members take my work, explain how much time it took and claim it as there own.

  Proablly the most interesting person that I have helped find the sources she was looking for demand that the public record was wrong and she would have her lawyer change everything.

  Some researhers really don't mind the skeletons in the closet.  Some find out it is a lot more work then they expected.  Some researcher find a skeleton stop researching and hope that it will never be found out.  I think you have a lot more that just read and feel a little overwhelmed.  You also have researchers who rewrite history.

  I love the excitement of the hunt.  I try to reply to each email that is sent to me and to say thank you.  So if I have missed someone I'm so sorry.  To everyone on this list and others that I have missed.

  Thank You!
  Quan