VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2006

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2006 13:15:51 -0500
From Eric Conard for the benefit of all who might need railroad records of those who were pensioned under the RRA instead of SSA.  I might mention that some years ago I found the Erie RR records quite accessible.

Subject: Re: Railroad records

I received quite a blow when I stopped by the Santa Fe (AT&SF) home office in Topeka some
years back.  They were located near the Kansas State Historical Society at 10th and Jackson, across the street from the capitol.  The KSHS has since moved to a new site.
I inquired about personnel records and was brusquely told they had no interest in history,
that such stuff was routinely destroyed.  Nothing there.  Shortly thereafter they moved to
Texas after nearly a century in Topeka.
There are some folks at the Kansas State Historical Society right off 1-70 near the governor's
mansion who have tried to re-construct railroad records.  They are somewhat chagrined at the negative stance held by Santa Fe, and have a user-friendly attitude about helping.
Thought this might save a trip, and the Kansas State Historical Society is the only source
for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe archives.  The Society does have a near-complete
newspaper collection, second to none in the US, filmed, and will circulate through approved
institutions. Paul, please distribute this as you see fit.