VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

From:
Jack Fallin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jack Fallin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 21:58:35 -0700
Dear All,

I'd like to pick up this thread, while apologizing for delaying my
comments.

I agree with Eastern Shore Tom's comments about the "normal" cycles
that occur on most lists.  One "new" problem is that those cycles
are, over time, frequently accompanied by unannounced changes in
posters' e-addresses -- making it nearly impossible to go straight to
someone who posted something right on your topic a few years
earlier.  That, in turn, means you just have to wait and hope that
person will come back to the list.  If everyone methodically checks
their book of relevant lists (as I suspect most of the listers here
do) this problem goes away, but not everyone does.

I belong to what I will call the "second wave" of modern genealogical
researchers.  That is, I came to the topic with a lot of internet
assets appearing, but a great deal of indexing, etc., not yet done.
We all remember those days when you had to trudge through every one
of a given township's census names in the hopes of finding yours.
This contrasts with the "first wave" who came to the internet only
after years of doing it the hard way; physically going to
courthouses, libraries, archives and LDS family history centers;
reading through vast numbers of hard records, scrolling through rolls
of unindexed microfilms, and basically turning over a great many
stones that the internet is rapidly sweeping aside.  Those who came
up in the "first wave" already knew from painful experience how
little faith could be placed in any data that wasn't fully sourced.
Those of us in the second wave could see those demands being made and
quickly learned their value.  Some of us (this from a retired lawyer)
were already primed by professional experience to fully and
accurately record and report our sources.  That refusal to accept
undocumented assertions have led most of us to, for instance, heavily
discount almost all of the "tree" material found on the LDS' website
and to take much message board material with many grains of salt.

I think that those falling in the next, and perhaps current, wave of
researchers will be inundated with all the indexed material on
Ancestry.com, the seemingly authoritative statements found at the
Family History site,  the vast amount of "word of mouth" material
found on  boards, etc. and will then simply collect stuff for a year
or so and declare their work complete.  It takes time to figure out
how important it is to employ only documented data and I'm not sure
the new generation will get to that stage.

I think it's important to distinguish among volunteers, contributors
and supporters.  My "ancestral" territories are in Virginia,
Pennsylvania, and New Jersey -- I live in California; traditional
volunteering at the local historical society really isn't an
available option.  I don't manage any boards, but I'm actively
reviewing, and commenting where appropriate, on 4 regional US boards
and 2 in Ireland.  Rather than simply consume the labor of my
relevant local societies, I've become a life member in each.
Unfortunately, as internet research becomes more and more central,
the impetus to join and work within local societies may be waning.
However, "my" Virginia Society [Northumberland County] remains
active, cooperative and  productive.  The Library of Virginia is an
extraordinary resource that seems to be continually improving
itself.  Eric, I guess I can see a number of reasons for concern for
the future, but my personal experience shows no major falling off in
enthusiasm or quality.

Jack Fallin
Walnut Creek, CA