VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2007

From:
"Wilson, Donald L" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wilson, Donald L
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 16:47:20 -0500
A law passed by the Virginia General Assembly in October 1748 appears to
have been in force at the time of the estate you describe.  [Hening's
Statutes, vol. 5, p. 454-467, "An Act directing the manner of granting
probats of Wills, and Administration of Intestates Estates."]

Page 458 lists the order that persons should be appointed to administer
an estate:  "...administration of the estate of every person dying
intestate ... shall be granted in manner following:  First to the
husband or wife of the deceased, and if none such, or if they refuse,
then secondly, to the child or children, or their legal representatives,
and if none such appear or claim, then thirdly, to the father or mother,
or if none such, then fourthly, to the brothers and sisters, and if none
such, then to the next of kindred to the deceased persons ..."

If the daughter in question had no husband, no child, and no father,
then her mother would have been next in line to administer her estate.
If her mother was not alive, then it would have gone to her siblings and
then to next of kin (e.g. an uncle or cousin).  If you can determine
that an uncle or cousin existed who was not offered the job, then it is
likely that the administratrix was the woman's natural mother.

But if the estate being administered was still her father's estate (and
had not been fully probated by the time of the daughter's death) then
the widow of that man should have been the administratrix, whether or
not she was the daughter's mother.

Simple?

Donald L. Wilson, Virginiana Librarian,
Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center
  for Genealogy and Local History (RELIC),
Prince William Public Library System,
Bull Run Regional Library,
8051 Ashton Avenue, Manassas, VA  20110-2892
703-792-4540   www.pwcgov.org/library/relic