VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2005

From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2005 08:37:44 -0800
Thanks, John.

Thomas Rowland is my ancestor, and I have a great deal of info about him.  Always looking for more, however,  so I am curious as to which book you referred.

 It's well known the Henry Lee had little respect for the militia, and he and Thomas are known to  have been in the same locale off and on during the Revolution.  IF the long-held family tradition that Thomas  challenged Henry Lee to a duel  is correct, then it probably did take place ca. January-March 1781. I  have copies of letters written by Thomas and others in defense of his Botetourt Rifles, who were charged with desertion because they left N.C. without Thomas' permission, and a few days before their tours were officially completed.

My current search for info re. Lt .Horse Harry Lee primarily has to do with Sidney Vale, an ancestral home owned at one time by Thomas' daughter, Milly Rowland Gilmore and her husband, Joseph Gilmore.  According to an unverified account  by Dr. E. Pendleton Tompkins
(Natural Bridge and It's Historical Surroundings, pub. 1939),  the land was a portion of the 38,000 acres  Henry Lee bought from John Beale.  Henry reportedly designed the house and leased it and the land for several years before selling it to a widow, Elizabeth Moore.  No dates or source information provided by Dr. Tompkins.   Is his tale true?  untrue?  That's what I'm hoping to learn.

Joanne

JB Garrett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
One book I have says that in Jan. 1781, Major Thomas Rowland commanded a detachment (appears to be just 5 companies, maybe 150-250 men) from Botetourt Co. sent south to North Carolina to guard against British attempts to rescue POWs at Cowpens. The detachment joined General Greene's army on the Haw River. Rowland's detachment and Colonel Lee's cavalry were sent to start an action with the British nearby. After a
battle at Reedy Fork, most of the militia went home. This may have been the event that brought about the challenge for a duel. Sounds like the militia were drafted for just 3 months service. You might try Google for Revolutionary War websites for North Carolina for more info.

John