VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2008

From:
Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2008 09:40:56 -0400
Mr Alexander I respect your thoughts and welcome your opinion because it
indicates the degree that such negative TJ books have on the reader. As
a reminder, I did not start this debate, someone brought to the
attention of this readership that Annette Gordon-Reed had a new book
out. As mentioned earlier, I reviewed this inaccurate book on
www.amazon.com where I would hope all readers may be enlightened to an
agenda being conducted before your very eyes. AGR has NO proof that TJ
fathered Sally's children and for a respected author and instructor of
our students, as was Prof. Ellis, is most disgusting and unprofessional
in my opinion.

If any book is mentioned on this or any list that seeks to sway the
reader's belief with inaccurate and unproven statements, then I have a
perfect right to comment on it, and will,..........if you disagree
please remember where the DELETE button is.

I am well aware of the National Genealogical Society attack on those of
us who would dare disagree with the agenda which has been set in
concrete. They were invited to have a member on the Scholars
Commission...the same lady who put out the blistering Special Issue was
personally invited........she declined...too busy. Anyhow the DNA was
NOT an area that NGS could add much insight, it was not a matter of pure
genealogy, it was a matter of manipulating who would represent the
Heming DNA and Dr Foster chose a man whose family had ALWAYS orally
claimed descent from "a Jefferson uncle", meaning TJ's much younger
brother, Randolph Jefferson, (with Jefferson DNA). I had CAUTIONED Dr
Foster that such "research" would naturally indicate a match, and it
did. I recommended a meeting with Monticello, Hemings, Woodson families
and anyone else that would and should have an active part in a
thoughtful and well planned statement in Nature.....HE DECLINED and thus
we have the present condition. He even bypassed his own partner in this
study, Winifred Bennett, who originally suggested the test,in his haste
to rush the study to Nature he NEGLECTED to notify them, Monticello or
the media of this calculated end result.

He and Mrs Bennett soon thereafter split their friendship when Dr Foster
told her he wanted FAME.....she disagreed and they parted company and
she cancelled her book.

There is much more to this fiasco than you know if you read only books
which "Jefferson bash" artists peddle their wares.

Do you actually believe that Annette Gordon-Reed is accurate in flatly
stating that TJ fathered seven Sally children? Where is her proof, where
is your questioning,.............surely that would be a great revelation
to our history, but her knowledge is NOT based upon fact........just as
Fawn Brodie's book, who visualized while studying material, that she was
"married to TJ", wonder what Mrs Gordon-Reed believes that she has not
covered in this book? Read the Scholars Report (13 prominent scholars)at
www.tjheritage.org. Their finding: NO proof that TJ fathered any slave
child.

Herb Barger
Jefferson Family Historian