VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2005

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jul 2005 20:47:56 -0500
Paul, do you know if there are Parish records for North Carolina?  I live in
VA so I haven't checked with NC Archives, but I really need some information
on
ancestors in the 1600-middle 1700's.   Dorothy C.
*****************
.  Though it erroneously has been written several times that no NC parish
records remain, in fact several are extant and have been reproduced, and
those are extremely valuable to all who seek NC ancestors. Here is the
summary I posted a few days ago.
   :
 The 1754 Vestry Act that established the 24 parishes for the Colony.  This
list appears in Chapter IV of the 1754 Session laws.  Then too, the same
list as below appears in the "Colonial Records of NorthCarolina",  (vol. 25,
pp. 298-304).  First named is the Parish, followed by the county or area:

Berkeley - - Perquimans
Christ Church - - Craven
Currituck - - Currituck
Edgecombe - - Edgecombe
North-West - - Northampton
Society - - Bertie
St. Andrew's - - Tyrrell
St. David's - - Cumberland
St. Gabriel's - - Duplin
St. George's - - Hyde
St. George's - - Anson
St. James's - - east side of Cape Fear River
St. John's - - Granville
St. John's - - Pasquotank
St. John's - - Onslow
St. John's - - Carteret
St. Luke's - - Rowan
St. Martin's - - Bladen
St. Matthew's - - Orange
St. Patrick's - - Johnson
St. Paul's - - Chowan
St. Peter's - - Pasquotank
St. Philip's - - west side of Cape Fear River
St. Thomas's - - Beaufort

From Marianne Ordway (www.b4us.net)  I have gained a fine copy of the vestry
minutes of St. Paul's of Chowan (1701-1776) and believe that some of the
records remain for St. Andrew's in Tyrrel and for Southwest Parish of
Pasquotank.  Then too, some of the Vestry Book of St. John's of Beaufort for
the years 1742 and following remain, and the St. Peters registry is
available at BHM Library, though Terria Bayner tells me that it apparently
may not be checked out from its place at Zion Chapel.

  I am checking further and will post what more records I uncover.   Paul