VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2003

Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:51:43 EST
Hello Everyone,

I have another one of my "age" questions.  In a continuing debate of the
identity of various Bentley men in Amelia County, I note that John Bentley,
according to Bristol Parish records, was appointed  sexton of the about to be
built Flat Chapel, in what is now Amelia County.   Since he seems to have
been appointed Sexton before the Chapel was built (see quote below), I am
wondering both whether or not, as a rule church sextons, were older than 21
years of age, and in this particular case, if perhaps he might have had some
sort of supervisory role over the construction of the Chapel and therefore
might have been of an age to have experience, and therefore definitely over
21.

The debate here is over whether sexton John Bentley could be (a) the
individual who married Mary Ellis in 1727 in Middlesex Co. VA;, or  (b)  the
John Bentley, son of Daniel and Anne of Richmond Co., who in his mother's
1731 "deed of gift" is still under 21 in 1731.  A third possibility of course
is that he is neither (a) nor (b).

From the Bristol Parish Register transcription,
""Upon petition of John Bently it is agreed by the vestry that he officiateas
Sexton for the Flat Creek Chapple when finished.  '  This at vestry Feb 26,
1732 which also says the Chapple 'be built on Mr. Cobbs Land near FlatCreek
for the conveniency of the upper inhabitants of this parish ..
[samedimensions etc] with the first Chapple built at Nummisseen."

Thanks for any thoughts,'

Janet Huntera